Tuesday 10 November 2009

Day 10: A Recipe


Today was a long day. I have a cold. I am so happy and lucky to have the job I do, because I work with a bunch of nurses. And they take good care of everyone.

Even so, I had to come home and eat dinner. I didn't want C to eat cereal or toast, even though I know he can and would eat either happily (he can also cook, but he has been doing a lot lately).

Something quick and healthy was important. I decided to make a staple dish in our house, 'Mexican Beans and Rice'.

Mexican Beans and Rice

1 cup cooked brown rice
1 16 oz tin black beans, drained and rinsed
1 16 oz tin corn, drained and rinsed
1 cup spring (or green) onions, finely chopped
Cumin*
Paprika*
Cayenne pepper*
Cilantro (or Coriander)*

*spices to taste

Mix all ingredients together and heat through. Serve as tacos or burritos, or as a nacho topping. Also delicious with shredded grilled chicken. Garnish with salsa, cheese or other favourites!

Enjoy.


(picture is from www.mccormick.com as I could not find a good picture of this recipe on my laptop.)

No comments: