Thursday 12 November 2009

Day 12: Where did you get your name?

Following on from my post last Saturday, about changing my name, I wanted to talk about my forenames. How I got them, what they would have been had I been a boy and why my parents chose those names.

My first name, as you all know, is Danielle. Yes, it is my actual name. No pseudonyms here.

According to the story my dad tells, he always knew I was a girl. As a child, my dad's best friend was a boy named Daniel and my dad always enjoyed Daniel's company and thinks highly of him. He chose my name based on his respect and love for Daniel. My first name means 'Judged by God'.

My middle name is even more straightforward. My mother gave me her middle name, Marie. So simple, such a popular middle name. No story or heartwarming detail.

I have always liked my name. There were those times that people mispronounced my first name (Danny-yell instead of Dan-yell) and I wished I had a name easier to pronounce, like Jennifer or Anna. But on the whole, I embraced my name. I like that there are other Danielles in the world, my name is not too original, nor is it commonplace.

Had I been a boy, my name would have been Samuel Tyler. First name after my late paternal grandfather. Not sure about the why on Tyler.

As I said last week, I have enjoyed my years as Danielle Marie Lastname. I like my name.

How did you get your name? How did you decide to name your pets? Your children? Are you, your siblings, your spouse or your children named after anyone?

No comments: